OpenSketch:
Community-Created Comedy

March 20, 2024, 04:16:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the purpose of opensketch.com?  (Read 10277 times)
Solace
Administrator

Chops: 1

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:04:49 AM »

Ordinary people can come up with some funny stuff, but it rarely gets performed or published because we don't have the time, money, skills, means, motivation, help, or feedback to fully-produce and distribute high-quality material ourselves.

OpenSketch.com allows original funny material to be submitted, rated, and collaboratively improved.  Top-rated material can then be performed and recorded using the acting and producing talents of members of the opensketch.com community, along with community help in securing props, costumes, equipment, and locations.  Completed material will be posted on this site so that all visitors can download or stream.  Registered users will be able to rate what they see and hear.

I think community-created, Web-distributed, comedy will work for two reasons: First, the compact or piecemeal nature of many forms of comedy -- sketches, stand-up, cartoons, and straight jokes -- along with the ability of most people to think of, or come across, at least a few funny things -- makes it feasible for a large Web-connected group of non-professionals to write, produce, and package such material for distribution. Professional comedy must often be written and produced in large saleable amounts, which reduces its average quality, while we can make, and make available, one small piece at a time. Second, quality equipment for video and audio production is significantly cheaper than it once was.

My greatest concern is whether we can find performers that can do justice to the material we create.  I'm sure they're out there.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:12:30 AM by Solace » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: